In our third week, our focus will be the AQ functions or purposes that are displayed in the worldwide and local church. This is defined by 5Q as “implicit”—as opposed to explicit— as these functions and purposes are inbuilt into the church by Jesus and are simply latent, waiting to be activated.
- Understand how AQ has been given to and coded into the ecclesia
- Articulate the apostolic function of the church
- Consider ways as a group/church to fully live out the AQ function
- Realize the repercussions when AQ is neglected
- Assess the current AQ functionality in your group/church
- Implement the first steps to activating the latent potential of AQ
Chapter 7 – Hirsch, A. (2017). 5Q: Reactivating the original intelligence and capacity of the body of Christ: 100Movements.com.
Recommended but optional: Nee, Watchmann. (1980) The Normal Christian Church Life: Living Stream Ministry.
Recommended but optional: Woodward, JR. (2012) Creating a Missional Culture: Equipping the Church for the Sake of the World: IVP Books.
Comprehensive List of Functions and Possible Expressions of Callings
In the Functions & Callings 2 Minute Intro video, Table 7.1 is referenced, with the key conversation being identifying the key differentiation: Functions belong to the body of Christ, callings are the functions of the church expressed by the individual.
- How would you articulate the difference between the AQ function and calling in your own words? Take a moment to jot down your own phrase, then together as a group formulate a unified definition.
- Why does it matter to differentiate?
- What functions of AQ do you already see latent in your church/community/team/workplace that are waiting to be activated? A glance at Table 7.1 on page 113 may help.
In the APEST AQ Video, it’s emphasized that God is a missionary God and his church is a missionary church. In Session 1 we looked at this AQ sending nature being rooted God, and now we consider the progression of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit sending the church. As a group, consider how recognizing the rootedness of the apostolic in God Himself can lead to your church/organization/group fully living out it’s sentness:
- Do we as a church only send out missionaries to foreign fields, or do we also send out individual members into their local sphere of society to have a missional impact there?
- Consider how your group could poll the rest of the church/group/organization to find out what they feel called to do, and empower them to be missionaries in this calling. Would we have the resources and capacity to support and encourage and disciple them along this AQ line?
- Is there something we should consider to be corporately serving the community, being missional to those in our immediate neighborhood?
The Systems of the Human Body
Just like our physical bodies which have interconnected functions built in, the Body of Christ has the interconnected functions built in that are necessary for spiritual health, stability, and growth. Look at Figure 7.2, choose one system to remove from the human body, and explain what happens to the body’s physiology. Repeat two times choosing different systems.
Transcribed to the Body of Christ, remove the apostolic function, and describe what the ramifications are for the church:
- Generally speaking, what is lacking when AQ is absent?
- What are the repercussions for your church and the world?
- More specifically, how will vision, innovation, risk-taking, mobilizing people, missional movement, multiplication, and church planting be affected?
When we consider reformation, we are talking about the process of reforming a paradigm or practice. What are some deeply held assumptions of the apostolic by you and/or your church/organization?
In the APEST A video, to begin the process of a paradigm shift, Brad Brisco talks about giving language and license to AQ in your church/community/team/workplace for this function to begin flourishing.
- Is the language there?
- Is the license there?
- If not, what sort of hindrances can you identify?
- Why are both significant to implement in your sphere?
What steps will you take to bring in AQ language and license into your church?
—> Language means talking about it regularly and casting vision for it.
—> License means giving people permission to create that vibe and culture. Think motivating, empowering, releasing, sending.
Write your steps down below and keep each other gracefully accountable to start doing them within the next week.
Additionally, take the 5Q Diagnostics Test here to get a glimpse and assess the AQ functionality in your church/community/team/workplace.
As we close this third week, pray for understanding of what God wants you to grasp about this topic. Identify 3 aha’s (key reflections, greater sense of excitement, conviction or understanding) and 3 questions. Write them in your 5Q journal and share them with someone you are journeying with or the group you are studying with.